Sunday, August 11, 2013









      Hello, all.  Sorry about paucity of updates on my Great
Divide mountain bike ride.  I only stayed in three places
that had a computer I could use and was usually so tired
after a day’s ride that I was in no mood to type.
      

      I completed the adventure in Steamboat Springs, Colorado on
26 July (started on 20 June).  From Canadian border to
Steamboat took me roughly coincident with the continental
divide through Western Montana, about 90 miles of Idaho,
north to south diagonally through Wyoming and 60 miles of
Colorado for a total ride of about 1100 miles give or take.


      Although I’m looking through the lens of a 64 year old guy
and comparing it to both my Marine Corps experience and
extensive backpacking endeavors, it was the most difficult
extended physical effort for me ever.  While I diligently
practiced on both my mountain bike and with a fixed bicycle
at the local fitness center for four months before my June
departure (the final training month saw me bicycling over
fairly hilly north central Florida terrain at about 100
miles a week; nothing can really prepare one for the
mountains and tracks of the western US along the Continental
Divide.  For instance, I climbed at least seven or eight
passes over 8500 feet and one topped at 9700 feet.   No way
to practice for that in Florida.


      Along the way I met a few other Great Divide riders and a
handful of Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (CDT)
hikers.  (I hiked the southern half of the CDT from the
Mexican border into southern Colorado in 2011.) It was
interesting that my gear, except, of course, the bicycle,
was nearly identical to the hikers and not, except in the
basic sense, like the other bike riders.  


      A couple of CDT hikers I met in Atlantic City, Wyoming 
(pop about eight permanent residents—not exaggerating) 
asked me why I was toting ultra-light gear and not the heavier 
stuff favored by Great Divide riders.  My answer: a hiker’s habit.
However, if I ever do any long distance biking again, I will 
“heavy up.”

       While the mountains of Montana, Idaho, and northern Wyoming
were impressive, my most vivid memories will always be of
the Great Basin desert between Atlantic City, WY and
Rawlings, WY.   Here are a few quotes from my trip notebook
regarding this 150 mile segment.  “ Terrible climb out of
Atlantic City.   Tough day (9.5 hrs riding) no shade.
Capped day with “…camp in only shade I could find…next
to a snow drift fence in middle of nowhere.”  Next
day-another 9.5 in-the-saddle ride. “…65 miles with 30
mils on a horrible bad rock and sand track….”  “Water
purifier failed at only water source next 30 miles.” Rode
more than 30 miles on a pint of water in the sun with temps
close to 100.  That was not a good day.  All in all, though,
a great experience!
       

      BTW, if anyone reading this cares to ride the Divide
through the Great Basin Desert, suggest carry at least two
gallons of H2O per day and a spare water filter/purifier.
      

      During my trip witnessed a couple of moose, a few elk,
about a dozen prong horn antelope; one dead rattlesnake; one
black bear sighted in the distance; no grizzlies; lots of
gaily colored humming birds; a badger that had created a
burrow smack in the middle of the track; a myriad of deer
both whitetail and mule; and a plethora of ground squirrels,
chipmunks and prairie dogs.
      

    Thanks for reading.  Hope all are well.  Take care.  Mike



























No comments:

Post a Comment